I was abused as a child, is it too late to make a claim? 

The previous time limits for making a claim for compensation have been removed, so survivors of abuse can now make a claim regardless of how long ago the abuse occurred.  

The removal of the barrier of time constraints is an important step towards achieving justice for survivors who are quite often not ready to address what has happened to them until many years after the abuse has taken place. 

Who is the claim brought against?

A claim is brought against the institution where your abuse took place and is handled by their insurer. It is helpful to note that it may still be possible to make a claim even if the institution no longer exists. 

Can I still claim if I have already applied to the National Redress Scheme?

The National Redress Scheme was established in 2018 to provide compensation for victims of institutional sexual abuse, however it is not the only avenue for compensation. If you have already applied to the Scheme, you should still contact Chamberlains to discuss your options for making a further claim.  

How much compensation could I receive?

Whilst nothing can remove the pain caused by the abuse, our experts may be able to assist you  to recover compensation for what you have gone through. This compensation can include: 

  1. Non-economic damages, also known as pain and loss damages, to compensate for your psychological and emotional distress; and  
  2. Treatment costs, to cover the past and future costs of physical or psychological injury; 
  3. Payments for care and domestic assistance provided to you by your friends and family becuase of your injuries; and 
  4. Loss of earnings, including superannuation, to compensate for any loss in income that has resulted from the abuse.   

Each matter is unique and the total amounts in financial compensation will vary from case to case, but if you have a lawyer experienced in this area will help you achieve the maximum compensation possible for your circumstances. 

How much will it cost to bring a legal case?

At Chamberlains, we are committed to achieving justice for all victims. We offer a free consultation and a no win no fee policy. Just as the compensation received differs from case to case, so do the legal costs, so ask one of our lawyers today about what your legal costs could look like if your claim is successful. 

Is it an issue that I live far away from any of the Chamberlains’ offices?

The location you live is not a barrier in obtaining a great legal service from Chamberlains. Whether you live close or far away from one of our offices across Australia, we are equally committed to providing you with our expert advice and helping you obtain the compensation you deserve. We are able to accommodate the communication preferences of all clients – be it meeting in person, regular telephone calls or videocalls – so that we can help victims of abuse across the country.  

How can Chamberlains assist me?

At Chamberlains, we are dedicated to assisting people impacted by institutional abuse across Australia. We specialise in a wide array of institutional abuse, for example education systems, religious establishments, sporting organisations or any other institutions in Australia. We can’t possibly say that we understand what have been through, but we can say that we are experienced in these matters and we promise to fight for you. Our aim is to will make the legal process as simple and stress free as possible.  


How do I contact Chamberlains? 

If you or a loved one has been the victim of sexual, physical or other abuse, please contact Alison McNamara alison.mcnamara@chamberlains.com.au or Jon May jon.may@chamberlains.com.au at Chamberlains Law Firm or call us on 02 6188 3600.