The Royal Commission into Institutional Reposes to Child Sexual Abuse made shocking findings of abuse of children in Australia who suffered ongoing physical and sexual abuse at the hands of various institutions such as schools, churches and orphanages.

The victims of the abuse suffered at the hands of institutions who were responsible for their care, leaving victims traumatised and with long lasting effects on their lives.

What to do if you have been abused?

For many victims it can be extremely difficult to talk about the abuse you have experienced, however there are a number of support services available to help you through the process.

The police can assist you and talk you through your options and can also direct you to support services. Reporting your abuse can be stressful and you may wish to also consult your GP to help give you the physical and or mental support you need.

Importantly, if you are the victim of intuitional abuse we strongly recommend that you seek advice from an experienced lawyer about your options for making a claim.

Making a claim

We understand that the ongoing impacts of institutional abuse can affect all facets of your life and can have lasting effects. While no amount of money can repair the trauma of abuse, it can assist with day-to-day living costs and ongoing medical or psychological assistance to help you the road to long term recovery.

Most of the time compensation usually involves money, but can also be an apology or admission of guilt which may help providing closure to victims in a way money just cannot.

When you meet with your lawyer for the first time to discuss your matter, we will listen without judgement and ask questions about the impact on your whole life. Often if you have been a victim of institutional abuse the trauma you have experienced can affect your employment, relationships, mental and physical health, all which is relevant to your claim.

If you decide to proceed with making a claim your lawyer will discuss any time limits and what evidence is required to support your claim. This may include taking a statement from you and possibly your family members and friends, obtaining clinical notes from any treating doctors, as well as medical reports, school records, details of your employment and information from the police. Your lawyer will be able to assess your case and discuss your options for making a claim for compensation.

How can Chamberlains assist me?

Being the victim of institutional abuse is a traumatic experience not many people will ever be able to understand. It can make you feel traumatised, baffled and powerless. We will support you throughout the claims process and fight for you to obtain the compensation you deserve.

We are committed to achieving justice for all victims and offer a free initial consultation and a no win no fee policy.

If you or a loved one has been the victim of sexual or physical abuse at the hands of an institution in Australia please contact Chamberlains Law Firm for a confidential discussion to see how we can help. We’re with you.