This article covers workers who are employed by the Commonwealth or by a Commonwealth authority (except any military personnel).

Canberra has one of the highest employment figures in the public sector in Australia. A common tendency is for injured workers (who work in the public sector) to not be fully aware of their compensation rights under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (SRC Act). In this article, we will provide you a brief insight into the most important information regarding your compensation rights, including:

  • What to do if you are injured at work;
  • What types of injuries you are able to be compensated for; and
  • What forms of compensation you are entitled to

What do I do if I am injured at work?

It is imperative to report any accident or injury to your supervisor as soon as possible, and in accordance with your employer’s policy and procedures.

What types of injuries are compensable?

It is extremely important for you to recognise what types of injuries are covered by Comcare compensation. Under the SRC Act, an injury is any type of mental or physical injury which arises out of, or in the course of, your employment (other than a disease). An injury can also mean an aggravation of an existing physical or a mental injury.

This article is relevant for you if you become injured whilst at work, or travelling during a work activity.

What compensation am I entitled to?

If you are injured at work in the Commonwealth sector, it is important to understand that the SRC Act provides a variety of structures for compensation:

  • A return to work plan;
  • Payment of reasonable costs of medical treatment;
  • Income support in relation to your Normal Weekly Earnings;
  • A lump sum payment for permanent impairment; and
  • Death and funeral benefits for dependants.


The SRC Act covers many injuries, and awards different types of compensation for specific types of injuries. Helping you understand your compensation rights under the SRC Act is fundamental to obtaining the specific compensation which you may need.

If you would like to organise a complimentary first consultation with Rory Markham, Managing Director and Practice Leader –  Corporate Risk & Dispute Resolution please contact our reception on 02 6215 9100.